What is physical therapy?
Physical therapy is a valuable nonsurgical form of health care focused on providing pain relief and improving mobility, functionality, and quality of life. Physical therapy is designed to promote symmetry and balance in your neuromuscular system and help you function better in general. At Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, the team performs physical therapy with an individualized hands-on approach, often using additional tools to further improve your results, such as stretching bands
What does physical therapy involve?
Physical therapy might involve several treatment methods and modalities, for example:
- Strength training with free weights, weight machines, your body weight, and static resistance
- Taping, splinting, and bracing
- Specialized and targeted exercises
- Heat and ice therapies
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Dry needling
- Posture evaluation Iontophoresis(delivering steroids through the skin)
- Certain topical medications
- Education on healthy lifestyle changes, such as stress management
- At Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, you have a one-on-one physical therapy session, and your therapist also teaches you simple exercises you can do at home.
- Your physical therapist assesses your needs and begins with a personal consultation, where you discuss important factors about your medical history and current lifestyle.
- Your physical therapist might also give you specific tests to check your ability to perform certain actions like bending, reaching, or grasping.
- Your physical therapist usually assesses your posture, your walking, and your heartbeat while you’re active.
Why would I choose physical therapy?
- You might choose physical therapy to:
- Improve physical ability and movement
- Assist you as you adapt to an artificial limb
- Assist your body’s natural healing process
- Assist your recovery after childbirth
- Support bladder or bowel control
- Prevent falls and strengthen muscles
- Prevent a surgery or disability
- Help you learn to use a cane, walker, or another assisted-walking device You might also choose physical therapy for rehabilitation following a stroke, surgery, or injury, especially if your injuries are related to a sports, work, or auto injury.
What are the advantages of physical therapy?
Physical therapy provides many advantages. It’s an excellent nonsurgical and non-pharmaceutical option that doesn’t present many risks or side effects. Physical therapy has benefits for people of all ages with various health complications. Different methods and techniques of physical therapy can help build up muscle strength, reduce inflammation, relax muscle tension, and more, depending on your individual needs and current health.