What causes joint pain?
Joint pain can affect any area of your body, and it typically becomes more prevalent with aging. Joint pain occurs where the two ends of the bones meet together at your knees, hips, elbows, fingers, and shoulders. Joint pain is typically a discomfort, pain, or inflammation that happens due to irritation or injuries to bones, ligaments, cartilage, muscles, or tendons.
Joint pain might be caused by joint infection, inflammation, and in more rare cases, cancer of the joint. Some sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as chlamydia and gonorrhea, can also lead to joint pain. Various medical conditions can also cause joint pain, such as:
- Bone fractures
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Other injuries
Acute joint pain can last for a few days to a few weeks, and chronic joint pain can last for months or years
When should I seek treatment for my joint pain?
Joint pain can be mild to moderate or severe and debilitating. You should visit Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, for treatment if your joint pain is diminishing your quality of life, getting you down, and inhibiting your daily activities and physical function.
How is joint pain treated?
Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, provides physical therapy, manual therapy, and rehabilitative exercises to treat your joint pain. Your provider might also suggest:
- Dry needling
- Cold or heat therapy
- TENS units (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
- Posture evaluation
- Iontophoresis(delivering steroids through the skin)
- Certain topical medications
- Lifestyle changes, such as stress management and nutrition
- Sacroiliac joint belt, braces, and other assistive devices
- Your provider can create an individualized treatment plan and discuss your treatment options
- in detail to help you decide what’s best.
- The goal is always to enhance your physical function, relieve pain, and boost your general wellness.
- Physical therapy is designed to increase your strength to support your joints, maintain your fitness, and preserve your ability to perform daily activities. Physical therapy usually involves a range of valuable personalized stretches, movements, and exercises.
- Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, also provides post-surgical care for joint surgeries, such as hip replacements.