What causes neck pain?
Neck pain can have several causes or associated factors, including:
- Consistently carrying your bag on the same shoulder
- Injury or trauma from accidents
- Cervical spondylosis
- Poor posture
- Temporomandibularjoint (TMJ)
- Emotional stress
- Your joints can become painful and worn down over time due to aging and certain other factors.
Whiplash is a common cause of neck pain. Whiplash is commonly associated with auto accidents when your neck is quickly forced to move in an unnatural way. A herniated or slipped disc in your cervical area can also lead to neck pain.
- Neck pain might be caused or worsened by overuse of muscles in the neck area or inflammation of the ligaments, tendons, muscles, or bones. If your neck pain is due to a strain or muscle tension, it might subside within a few days. Neck pain is chronic if it lasts for several weeks or longer.
When should I get professional medical treatments for my neck pain?
- You should visit Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York if you have:
- Tenderness or warmth in your neck area
- Persistent pain
- Headaches along with your neck pain
How is neck pain treated?
At Center Point Physical Therapy, NYC New York, your provider discusses your neck pain and creates a personalized treatment plan. Physical therapy might be a great solution if you’re recovering from a neck injury or surgery. Physical and manual therapy for the neck includes a range of beneficial exercises often combined with neck mobilization and upper back manipulation. To give you some relief from your neck pain and enhance your strength and mobility in your neck and shoulders, your provider might also suggest:
- Dry needling
- Cold or heat therapy
- TENS units (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
- Posture evaluation
- Iontophoresis(delivering steroids through the skin)
- Certain topical medications
- Lifestyle changes, such as stress management and nutrition Cervical pillows, collars, and other supportive devices or products Your provider can create an individualized treatment plan and discuss the treatment options with you in detail to help you decide what’s best.